Search my Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Crispy Anchovies in Honey Lime Sauce

I've got a kg of non-salted natural dried anchovies from Sabah given by my sister and I saw the recipe in Chik Mimi's house the other day which matched what I had in mind. I added more ingredients to the recipe to suit my taste but credit still goes to Chik Mimi for the delicious sauce for coating. Kraaap...kruuuup...nyum nyum.... very crispy & tasty...! Compliments from hubby & sons. All gone in one day!

Source with compliments: Chik Mimi (Orig by Amy Beh)
INGREDIENTS: 
250g split and cleaned Anchovies
1 cup Tapioca Flour 
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
4 Dried Chillies - cut into sections
1 Onion - halved and sliced thinly 
6 Bird-eye Chillies - chopped
2 Calamansi Limes - squeezed for juice
3 tbsp Honey 
2 tbsp Water (HomeKreation: I skipped)
1 tbsp Fish Sauce

HomeKreation Addition:
Cashew nuts, sesame seeds, curry leaves

METHOD:
1. Rinse anchovies and soak for 10-15 minutes. 
Drain dry in a plastic colander then pat completely dry with several layers of kitchen paper towels. 
Toss in tapioca flour.

2. Heat some oil in a wok. 
Shake off excess tapioca flour from the anchovies and deep-fry until golden brown and crispy. 
Dish out and drain from oil.

3.  Heat the sesame oil in a clean wok, fry dried chillies, onion and bird’s eye chillies for a while. 
Combine lime juice, honey, water and fish sauce and add to the pan; bring to a boil until mixture turns frothy and thick. 
Return prefried anchovies to the honey sauce. Stir-fry briskly until well combined. Dish out and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can imagine how tasty this bilis is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Along,
    Harap2 Along sihat2 ye..dan si comel Liana agaknye dah pandai macam2 tu.. :)
    Sedapnye kerepek ikan bilis gini. Dapat ratah cepat je licin ni..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your anchovies look so fresh! A friend once got me some from Pulau Pangkor..my, they'r so different the ones we get at the market!

    ReplyDelete

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)